Sunday, July 13, 2014

First days

Since I was without the internet the first 3 days of being in the Philippines, here's a summary of what has happened.

It was a fairly smooth flight except for the last leg.  At one point there was great turbulence and I thought I was on a roller-coaster.  There was screaming and frankly I was scared.  Later I talked with a couple of people whose juice, coffee, or other drink spilled on them during the turbulence.

We arrived early at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport 1/2 hour early.  Going through immigration and customs wasn't as harrowing as first glance.  Despite two full flights arriving simultaneously, the entire waiting including getting my luggages took less than an hour.  If/when you visit the Philippines, try to go on Philippine Airlines.  I felt that Terminal 2 which solely caters to this airline to be more organized than Terminal 1 which I've used several times.

Leaving the airport was another story.  Lots of cars even at 4:55 am.

My cousin Freddy and I stopped at McDo (the term Pilipinos use for McDonald's).  He ordered hotcakes and I had longosino (sausage) and rice.  My aunt and uncle (the one who had an anuerism, for whom I returned on an emergency in 2011) were very happy to see me.  I cried when I hugged my uncle; he was still in the brink of death when I last saw him.  Praise the Lord for the great improvement.  He is still receiving therapy, but he can walk slowly and he can talk.  He struggles with his hearing, and he has for years.  Interestingly we had McDo again for supper.  Their special was BFF fries with burgers or chicken/spaghetti.  I hardly go to McDonald's in the States, and here I went twice in one day!

On Saturday I went with my uncle and aunt to my uncles' appointment to the audiologist.  It was a 1 1/2 hour drive to St. Luke's Hospital, Quezon City.  My aunt gave the doctor and his staff fruit, for their appreciation.  There were already other bags of fruit on a counter in the office.  Only in the Philippines.

We ate lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant and  I was reminded of the Vietnamese restaurant near Applebee's on 103rd.

By late afternoon I left the Manila area, headed for Pililla.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you made it safely! Cannot wait to hear more of your adventures, thank you for the updates!

    ReplyDelete