Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Aftermath

The winds began in earnest at 3 am.  Electricity was off beginning at 4 am, returning 11 hours later. It was a long day.  Praise the Lord we came through ok.  In our area of Pililla, Rizal, Typhoon Glenda was mostly wind-- not water.  There was no flooding for the most part.  By 9:30 the wind had died down considerably, and it was just sprinkling.

My Uncle Warly went to the river to see what it was like.  He returned promptly saying the river had gone over its banks.  My Aunt Alphonsa and I walked to the river where I saw massive water lilies crowding the river.  This was why the river went over the banks.  There was police in the river, standing on the water lilies, hacking away at the water lilies.

By the time my cousin Julie Ann came, it was only a few minutes before she had organized people from the barrio to gather coffee, cups, sugar, and water to give the police and other townspeople working to get control of the water lilies.

After lunch Julie Ann and I returned to the river and saw a much calmer river with no water lilies.  We walked around and saw a tree downed from the storm.  Workers from the barangay were cutting it down.  We also saw several downed banana plants and other soft wood trees bent over.

Later I heard from my Godmother Luvie who reported that in the area where they have their chicken farm, about 15 minuters from where I'm staying, part of the roofing on a couple of buildings had blown off during the storm.

Thanks for your prayers.  I'm hoping it'll be a long while before another typhoon makes landfall.



3 comments:

  1. So glad you have made it home and are settling in. I love the descriptions of life there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I am kicking myself for not reading this earlier this summer! I am glad you are having a nice time with family and that you made it safely. I hope you get to post pictures soon! Are you using your Center email or is there another one I should use?

    ReplyDelete