Monday, December 22, 2014

Forgiveness

When I was a child lots of kids came and played at our house and back area.  I remember a time when I pushed a boy into the fish pond.  He had been acting like an acrobat, walking the tight rope, as he walked the perimeter of the fish pond. Perhaps I was jealous that he was able to do so with such ease that I pushed him into the fish pond.  His sister screamed, "Help my brother; he's drowning."

When I returned to the house, Nanay was furious with me.  She told me to go to confession.  When I got to church and made confession, the priest asked if I was sorry for my sin.  I told him no, that the boy had been bragging.  The priest in turn was angry and told me to get out.

When I went home, I remember my grandmother punishing me.  During my time out, as I sat alone I remember thinking how did my grandmother know that I had not been sorry for my sin?

I often recall this incident to my students when I discipline them.  I tell them that as much as my Nanay loved me, she also punished me when I made mistakes.  

Fast forward at least 40 years (I don't know exactly when the incident happened). I was at a meeting and Jaime Vidanes reintroduced himself to me.  He asked if I remembered pushing a boy into the fish pond.  I said yes.  Jaime told me he was that boy.  I was mortified and asked for his forgiveness.  He said, "Wala iyon (It's nothing.)"  I told him it can't be "nothing", and that I had really gotten punished by Nanay because of what I did.   

Since then each time I see Jaime, he greets me and asks how was my day.  I guess he has forgiven me.

Taina and Jaime Vidanes by the fish pond

 Jaime and his son Jon Mhik

1 comment: